[rpd] IPv4 Soft Landing BIS

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jul 29 17:12:00 UTC 2017

On 29/Jul/17 18:21, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Was this done voluntarily by the shopkeepers or was it enforced by some form of government-like entity?

In war times, I've seen it as a government imposition.

Out of war times, it's a bit of both.

> Further, was the rationing set up such that anyone who bought food less than two years ago couldn't buy food today, or was it more like everyone gets x amount of food per time period and everyone started suffering from the same level of rationing at the same time?
>
> The proposal at hand implements the former.

Well, because food is perishable, I vaguely recall that the rations were
for within a 24hr period.

> Do these limits prevent you from coming back and buying more the next day?

You could probably come back and buy in 10 minutes, if you are able to
not only disguise yourself, but also stand the long queues. That said,
in the worst case scenario, a recording mechanism would have been used
to ensure you are not a repeat customer within the same time window.

> Sure. There are situations where fair rationing is the only sensible thing to do. However, this proposal treats those with existing resources different from those without. That's not rationing, that's dividing the community into classes and then treating those classes differently. If you'd like an African historical example of how this can end, we need look no further than the Belgian colonial control over Rwanda and the events after independence.

I'm still thinking about the policy proposal. I'll post my thoughts soonest.

Mark.