[rpd] IPv4 Soft Landing BIS

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jul 29 11:15:53 UTC 2017

On 28/Jul/17 21:02, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Let’s use a better analogy… This is more like a store being operated in a time of shortage.
> Let’s use eggs for the example.
>
> As a store owner, you know that there is a looming shortage of eggs because of some horrible
> disease that has afflicted all of the local chickens and egg production is less than 1/4 of
> normal.
>
> Would you limit the number of cartons of eggs each customer can buy and prohibit customers from
> getting in line again if they need more eggs? Would you tell the commercial bakery down the street
> that you will not sell them 12 dozen eggs because you might have families coming in tomorrow that
> might need eggs?
>
> No, you’re going to pocket the cash as fast as you can and sell the eggs to whoever wants to buy
> them.

Not to go completely off-topic, and certainly irrelevant to the ongoing
discussion about this policy proposal, but; I (and a few others on this
list, I'm sure) spent some of their early childhood growing up during
some kind of war in their country. For me, it was when Obote was being
ousted by Museveni, 1985, Uganda. Rationing of goods and food was the
norm at pretty much every shop, large and small.

When I lived in Zimbabwe, 2005 - 2007, rationing of goods and food was
the norm at pretty much every shop, large and small.

Even now, in South Africa, there are certain items on the shelves - in
supermarkets - that will have a notice attached to them to limit the
number of units a single person can purchase, in case of a national
shortage, e.g., milk.

In pure capitalism theory, one wants to get rid of capacity as quickly
as possible, as it's cash in the hand and makes business sense (the same
way I want to get rid of as much bandwidth as I can when I build that
capacity). But as I've seen in recent decades, for some reason or other,
it isn't always the case.

Again, I'm just questioning the analogy, not the policy proposal...
still making my mind up about the latter.

Mark.