[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

David Hilario d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net
Mon Jul 24 10:08:14 UTC 2017

Dear Marcus,

I think there is a misunderstanding from your side.

On 24 July 2017 at 12:41, Marcus K. G. Adomey <madomey at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> I find your email rather strange if you can admit to selling/trading of IP
> Addresses.
>

> At the current state of affairs, LIRs are not allowed to sell IP Addresses
> to their customers through sub-allocations  and assignments.

Isn't the core purpose of an IR to further distribute the address space?
Whether you charge for the service or not is entirely up to you as LIR,

> Afrinic intra transfer policy is even yet to be implemented and its rules
> are also very clear on how resources can be transferred.

No transfers were done, I don't really see how you came to that conclusion.
We can assign or sub-allocate to our customers within the framework of
the policies, this is what we are doing.

> Passing additional allocations evaluation (and we trust Afrinic staff for
> always doing their job) is super.

We did, several time, and the same people will be doing the review if
that policy was to pass.

> Equally passing a resource utilization review is also a requirement and
> desirable by serious LIR's willing to prove to their customer's base  that
> their business is risk-free.
>
> You're concerned by the impact of the policy on other members and not on
> your own LIR's  account?  Fantastic!!!

Not so much on our own, no, but the policy proposal as written and if
applied accordingly to how it is written, will results in the
de-registration of live network all over the membership of AFRINIC,

> The PDWG is open and they are free to express themselves,

Thank you, we agree on this.

> Your historical concerns  about deregistration, threat of legal risks to
> Afrinic and opposition of the review policy dictate the contrary of what you
> claimed here.

Other than the potential administrative hassle and long series of
email exchange ensuing from a triggered review, a review from our LIR
is not going to do much, we have gone through multiple additional
allocations, each time needing to justify how we were using our pools
and will use future pools.

> You clearly have a conflict of Interest in the discussions on this policy
> proposal and this must be taken into account.

I really wish I could understand this part, anyone discussing policy
if they operate an LIR or have internet resources is then in conflict
of interest by your own words.