[rpd] Appeal Committee Terms of Reference (Version 1)

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 18:05:31 UTC 2017

Dear PDWG,

This is to acknowledge all the suggestions and discussions around the
Appeal Committee TOR and that the Board is taking notes.

The Board will collate all views and present a summary at the end of the
comments period.

Regards ...

Sunday.

On 21/07/2017 19:51, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> On Jul 20, 2017, at 03:31 , Douglas Onyango <ondouglas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andrew,
>> Comments inline
>> On 20 July 2017 at 12:42, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>>> Comments inline
>>> Some few comments though:
>>> 1. Section 2.2 needs to explicitly include the complainant as
>>> ineligible to be on this committee. I believe this addition will make
>>> 4.2 easier to implement.
>>>
>>> Am not sure this makes sense in terms of a standing committee – since there
>>> is no way to pre-determine who will make a complaint.  I believe that the
>>> whole point of 4.2 was to negate this point – so I don’t agree with the
>>> assertion made above.
>> I am hoping for a future without a standing committee. This provision
>> will mean one less thing to change.
> Since that would require a substantial change to the PDP and the current situation
> where a standing committee is required makes such a change to 2.2 impractical if not
> impossible, I would say this change should be left until such time as it can be made
> in accordance with updates to PDP section 3.5.
>
>>> 2. The same section 3.5 of the PDP speaks of a Recall Committee. I
>>> think it would be wise to make provisions for the two committees now,
>>> rather than leaving the Recall Committee for later
>>>
>>> Not sure I agree with you on this one Douglas – because the recall committee
>>> specifically under section 3.5 excludes people calling for the recall – and
>>> hence, the comments above apply.
>> I don't understand what you are saying Andrew. Here is the extract
>> from the 3.5:  "Anyone may request the recall of a Working Group Chair
>> at any time, upon written request with justification to the AFRINIC
>> Board of Directors".
>>
>> My point is that 3.5 call for a recall committee, and the Appeal
>> Committee was a warning sign. Let us cater for 3.5 in its entirety at
>> the earliest possible.
> The recall of a working group chair is filed with the Board and therefore does
> not require a standing committee. The appeal of a PDP Chair decision, OTOH,
> must be filed with the committee and not the board (per 3.5), therefore it does
> require a standing committee.
>
>>> I also consider the need for a standing
>>> recall committee to be extreme – because it pre-supposes that members of the
>>> appeal committee may be regularly recalled.
>> I am in no way proposing a standing committee. I am merely saying we
>> need to provide for it. The rest of the discussion is up to the
>> community to agree on. Also the committee is not to recall appeal
>> committee members, but rather the PDWG co-chairs AFAIK.
> The provision for it is that the board constitutes the committee as they see fit
> upon filing of a recall with the board.
>
> If you don’t like that process, then you are free to propose amendments to the
> PDP in order to change it, but that is what is currently specified (effectively)
> [...]

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
Managing Director
General data Engineering Services (SKANNET)
16 Oshin Road, Kongi Bodija, Ibadan - Nigeria
Phone: +234 802 291 2202, +234 816 866 7523
Email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng, sfolayan at gmail.com