[rpd] AFRINIC Board ratifies Policy Proposal AFPUB-2016-V4-003-DRAFT03: IPv4 Resources transfer within the AFRINIC Region

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jul 21 12:48:10 UTC 2017

On 21/Jul/17 14:21, Ernest wrote:

> All,
>
> As we implement the "IPv4 Resources transfer within the AFRINIC
> Region" policy - a quick clarification is sought from authors (and
> community) on whether a transfer can be partial - or must be the
> entire block as allocated/assigned.
>
> For example, if a LIR is allocated a /17, can the LIR opt to
> transfer a /22 out of the /17?
>
> This is not clearly indicated in the proposal:
>
> http://afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/1969-ipv4-resources-transfer-within-the-afrinic-region

While a bit of diligence will be required to properly keep records of
IRR data, I think it would be okay to allow LIR's to make partial
transfers. Not doing this makes it an all-or-nothing scenario, which
sort of challenges the need for the policy itself.

I'm not sure whether we want to include any language that determines the
maximum length that can be transferred, as part of this policy, in order
to maintain some level of control on routing table pollution.

Mark.