[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 18 16:44:47 UTC 2017

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 09:24 , Marcus K. G. Adomey <madomey at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Owen,
>
> Kindly read my reaction to your email in line.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcus

Yes… That statement is true, and, as I clarified for Boubaker, any AfriNIC resources which we may be using (I don’t actually have a tally off the top of my head) are provided to us by AfriNIC member LIRs or their subordinates and not directly by AfriNIC. I believe that most of the resources we are using within the AfriNIC service region are resources which we deployed in Africa from our pools granted to us by RIPE and/or APNIC.

So, while this policy does not and likely will not directly impact us, we do, in fact, care what happens to the ecosystem in Africa. I am opposed to this policy on the grounds that it endangers the continued survival of AfriNIC as an organization which I believe would be bad for the entire internet and especially the internet in Africa.

> Your record of opposition to the establishment of AfriNIC and how you labelled it “Vaporware” has been previously pointed out.  In the several discussions on the proposal, you were allied with those who oppose on fallacious grounds citing risks that cannot be proven, never proposing text to improve the policy.  Some in your cohort opposing the policy are known to have direct conflict of interest.

I was not opposed to the establishment of AfriNIC and any such claim is specious. Yes, at the time, I called AfriNIC vaporware because it was being argued on the ARIN list that a policy should be passed in the ARIN region because it would get implemented in AfriNIC when it came into existence anyway. At that time, AfriNIC was, in fact, vaporware. It did not yet exist as a functioning RIR.

Indeed, if I were opposed to the existence of AfriNIC, the quickest and easiest thing I could do would be to support this very proposal as I think it is, indeed, one of the quickest and surest ways to endanger AfriNIC as an organization.

Your characterization of my opposition to the proposal is also fallacious. I opposed on the grounds that I did not believe such a special policy exemption should be granted to AfriNIC when there was need for said policy exemption throughout the ARIN region, including those parts of it which later became part of the AfriNIC service region. I will note that the outcome of that debate was for Adiel and I to come to an agreement to both support each other’s policy proposals. Mine which provided the same relief to the entire ARIN region (which ended up being adopted) and Adiel’s which provided relief only to those portions of the ARIN region (at the time) in Africa (which was rendered moot by the adoption of my proposal).

Please review your memory of history for accuracy before using it to accuse me of such actions.

> =============
>
> Nonetheless, even though I am the author and architect of the ARIN resource review policy, I cannot support this policy as it is currently written.
>
> As many have pointed out, this policy has several important and harmful differences from the ARIN policy.
>
> =========== Marcus
>
> The last time I checked,  the co-Chairs have an open issues list but as you insist, would you update and clarify how harmful the policy is?  And be constructive to propose text instead of "I don't support policy"
>
> ===========

I have provided the substantive grounds on which I oppose the policy. I have other responsibilities and the creation of such a policy simply isn’t a sufficient priority for me to engage in the exercise you request.

The policy is harmful because:

	1.	It does not restrain the frequency of AfriNIC reviews based on unsubstantiated claims by third parties.
	2.	It provides for rather draconian resource revocation on potentially shaky evidence.
	3.	It does not provide discretion for staff to dismiss or disregard specious complaints.
	4.	Refer to Ashok’s laundry list of legal problems with the proposal.

There may well be additional issues, but those are sufficient to justify my opposition.

> The differences may not be readily apparent because of the context of the entirety of the policy manuals in question (AfriNIC policy combined with this policy produces a very different and distinct result vs. ARIN policy including ARIN section 12 (resource reviews)).
>
> =========== Marcus
> Are you saying that members of this community don’t know what is good for them?

No, that is not what I said at all and I have great difficulty understanding how you arrived at that from my statement above.

I am saying that the textual similarity of this proposal and the ARIN section 12 taken out of context can be misleading because the consequences when you integrate this policy into the context of other AfriNIC policies and the AfriNIC RSA and legal environment is radically different from the consequences when you integrate ARIN NRPM section 12 into ARIN policy and the ARIN RSA and the legal environment in which ARIN operates.

> ===========
>
> I will not restate all my previously stated objections here now, but to claim that anyone opposing this policy is doing so for selfish reasons is as erroneous as it is inappropriate.
>
> ============ Marcus
> Your haste to respond to this,  your negativity and repeated attempts to assume the high ground over the community are clear indications of what  to expect from you in this review policy discussion.
>
> Your voice counts as  other voices so you will never stop this community from doing what is good for the region and the Internet.

This is a rather odd statement.

I’ve never tried to claim that my voice stands above the community, nor have I ever wanted to stop the community from doing what is good for the region and the internet.

Indeed, I oppose this policy because I believe it would be:

	1.	Bad for AfriNIC as an organization.
	2.	Bad for the AfriNIC community.
	3.	Bad for the internet.
	4.	Bad for the region.

I can understand and accept that you have a different conclusion and believe the policy would be good for those same groups, but claiming that your belief is correct and that mine is false and based strictly on self-interest is both incorrect and tantamount to an ad hominem attack not permitted under the RPD list rules.

Owen