[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jul 17 07:15:04 UTC 2017

On 15/Jul/17 21:14, Jackson Muthili wrote:

> The majority that are opposed to this proposal appear to not fully
> understand the realities of the continent's needs and appear to be
> mostly having business interests outside the continent or siding with
> folks that have operations mostly outside the continent.
> (I am trying to write this as diplomatically as possible and as
> frustrating as this may sound, it starts to make sense if the PDP is
> restricted only to paying members given that outputs from the process
> mostly end up directly affecting members and their businesses)

I find the above statement rather presumptuous, if not offensive, Jackson.

I'd like to think I (and my employer) have a reasonable understanding of
the realities of Africa, have the majority of our business within
Africa, and have no alliances with other entities operating outside
Africa for less-than-good reasons.

The bottom line is that there is merit in what the policy proposal is
trying to achieve. However, it's not going about it the right way in its
current form. Take it back, work on it, and bring it back for community
review, is my suggestion.

Mark.