[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

David Hilario d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net
Thu Jul 13 13:03:25 UTC 2017

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

And for the clear view.

On Jul 13, 2017 8:26 PM, "Mark Tinka" <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

On 7/13/17 9:57 AM, David Hilario wrote:

It is very honorable of anyone who is willing to return space, I have

seen it happen a few times in other regions where some organisations
actually returned extremely large pools of unused space to their
respective registries, it was only LEGACY though, and there was no
audit policy with de-registration in mind needed for that, they just
saw it as the thing to do.

I believe you are taking Simon's comments out of context.

Just for the sake of the argument against the policy.

This policy proposal would enable the forced return of  addresses unused
space.

Speaking as a SEACOM representative, to which this particular point of the
thread has landed, what Simon means is that as a matter of operational
course, if a customer churns, the space they had been previously assigned
is freed up for use by other customers purchasing services from SEACOM.
Simon did not mean that that space becomes available to the overall AFRINIC
pool for re-distribution.

You are describing a totally normal way of maintaining and operating a pool.
Sounds very same and normal.

Unfortunately we had quite a few views/voices not agreeing with free pool
management at LIRs.

Somehow, I suspect other AFRINIC members have similar operational habits.

Hope this clarifies.

And just to re-iterate, I am still firmly opposed to this policy!

Mark.

Regards,
David Hilario