[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

David Hilario d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net
Wed Jul 12 14:39:49 UTC 2017

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:04 PM, David Hilario
> <d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Noah,
>>
>> Just to make it clear in regards to the repeated comments trying to
>> justify this proposal by saying that RIPE NCC or ARIN are having a
>> similar policy and practice.
>>
>> The video and the section where both ARIN and RIPE NCC are speaking:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/XBv44KAgFVQ?list=PLLJRUWAm1GCZAGzqiCzX2CRU7oqLDC9e5
>>

> What I get from their comments which i remember having been in the room is
> that both ARIN and RIPE NCC do reviews.

Maybe you should listen to them again instead of just getting it from memory:
https://youtu.be/XBv44KAgFVQ?list=PLLJRUWAm1GCZAGzqiCzX2CRU7oqLDC9e5

At around 08:27:50 Andrea Cima from RIPE NCC
He goes on to explain that their reviews are called "ARC", and it is
to keep in touch and keep data up to data, registry data, that is the
contact details and so on.
Investigation, that is part of the "fraud".

08:29:50 Leslie from ARIN.
Explains the scope of their policy, they only Audit in Fraud cases
only deregister in case of fraud.

> [1] ARIN: https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#twelve
>
> [2] RIPE:  https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-423
>
> So can you accept to this FACT and can i request that everyone read through
> the above two links and explain to me if am reading from the same script as
> ARIN and RIPE NCC.

Those reviews are not aimed at de-registration of resources, they
simply do not go down that path.
Listen to the very comments from the respective registration managers
that were in Mauritius and commented on that very topic.
I am glad you were in the room, listen back to their comments again as
you are only remembering half of what they said.

They have periodic review yes but:
They are not re-evaluating the reason for having issued the resources
in the first place, they are verifying contact details and
registration data.

They do have a very clear distinction between fraud investigation and
a keeping the registry up to date through periodic review.

>> Neither the RIPE NCC or ARIN does a re-evaluation of the resources and
>> questioning how the LIRs are currently using their resources.
>>

> But they do have above [1] and [2] ways that aids them in reviewing their
> LIR's to make sure they are in compliance.

Yes...and again, not aimed at de-registring the space.
The de-registration as a goal is even mentioned in AFRINIC's legal
advisor's document, you cannot deny that the aim of this policy is
really de-registration, not review and data accuracy and policy
compliance.

This is plain and simple, you cannot compare the policies from ARIN
and RIPE NCC (as has been done repeatedly) with this proposal in the
scope and aim.

If you do not create policies based on trust and mutual respect, but
rather of fear and oppression, then their will be a continuous
struggle for the RIR to interact with it LIRs.

> Noah

David