[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-GEN-001-DRAFT-04 - Internet Number Resources Review by AFRINIC"

David Hilario d.hilario at laruscloudservice.net
Wed Jul 12 06:34:23 UTC 2017

On 12 July 2017 at 09:12, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
> While I am not going to opine on the merits of the policy under discussion, I’d like to draw attention to one of the assertions made in the discussion:
>
>> On Jun 26, 2017, at 8:37 PM, Lu Heng <h.lu at anytimechinese.com> wrote:
>> This policy is in direct conflict with transfer policy, if someone wants to sell their address space, they surely not commit to use it with the original purpose, should AFRINIC instead of allowing them to transfer the space, but reclaim them and redistribute them for "better use"? If that is the case, the transfer policy will have no use because of that.
>
> I would just like to point out that the AfriNIC community does not exist to serve the financial interests of those who wish to sell addresses, rather than use them.
>
> The AfriNIC community is the community of people who need IP addresses, in order to route them and give people access to the Internet.  The AfriNIC policy process exists to serve those who wish to _use_ IP addresses, not those who wish to profit from them at the expense of the community.
>
> So, whatever your thoughts on the merits of this proposal, the fact that it fails to serve the interests of speculators is not an argument against it.
>
>                                 -Bill

Agreed, on the spirit of your statement.
But, with a transfer policy in place and a reclaim policy being
discussed containing the wording "better use" it may lead to strange
conflict of interest within AFRINIC.

Should one want to transfer away, make a request at AFRINIC and the
recipient gets denied the transfer for reason X, should AFRINIC
reclaim the resources at that point for "better use" so that they can
be redistributed under the current distribution policy?

This is not about speculators, given the costs of maintaining a
membership at AFRINIC, I find it very unrealistic to believe someone
would be "hoarding" unused space as a pure speculative move.

Yes there will be transfers, most of the freed up space will come from
business that shrank, network optimisation.
Change of business practice, like dropping being an ISP or Datacentre
but still offering other IT services on the side.

Lastly, the ones that we really should not mess with, liquidators.
Those guys will see IP address as assets, as the community we can make
high claims against that.
But liquidators will inventorise internet resources as assets and
capitalise on them in order to pay back outstanding debts, most of the
time it will be as part of the take over of the ISP business or
whatever commercial service is using the IPs, but sometimes it will be
pure IP transfers.