[rpd] Anti-Shutdown

abel ELITCHA kmw.elitcha at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 11:53:52 UTC 2017

Hi Woody

You seem to be stretching the truth.  Internet shutdown is not  a new topic
and not the first time UN and other bodies dicuss it.
We may also diverge on  the impact of the succession  of events which
occurred during  the whole discussion.
I consider the afrinic  board statement[1], the panel discussion during
AIS2017  and the AF* statement [2] to have more Impact  as  they created
conditions for appropriate discussions, multi-stakeholders  engagement for
better outcomes.

I hope this helps...

[1] https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/announce/2017/001764.html
[2]
https://afrinic.net/fr/library/news/2141-common-statement-by-af-on-internet-shutdowns-in-africa

> Apropos this topic, a discussion of the issue (not the AfriNIC proposal,
> but the shutdown issue itself) is scheduled for an upcoming UN meeting:
>
>     https://www.accessnow.org/united-nations-event-explore-
> ways-stop-internet-shutdowns/
>
> So, putting aside the question of whether AfriNIC policy is the place to
> finally enact a change, I think it’s been incredibly valuable to have the
> conversation, and that having the conversation has drawn favorable
> attention to the fact that Africa has an active Internet governance
> policymaking body.
>
>                                 -Bill

--Abel