[rpd] Question about the current soft landing policy...

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Jun 7 08:15:32 UTC 2017

>From my archives, (McTims date on his PC is suspect)

From: McTIM
(Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:19:05 +0200)

All,

A sharp eyed reader has pointed out that the version number in the
above subject line is incorrect.

It should read  "AFPUB-2011-v4-004".

Apologies for the error.

Best Regards,

McTim

AfriNIC PDWG co-chair

On 9/9/11, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> The last call period has now closed for the Global Policy for Post
> Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by the IANA (AFPUB-2010-v4-006)
> policy proposal.
>
> No objections were received on this proposal during the last call
> period. This policy proposal was also deemed to have reached consensus
> at AfriNIC-14 face-to-face Public Policy Meeting.
>
> The Policy Discussion Working Group Co-Chairs, therefore, hereby
> declare that consensus has been achieved.
>
> The PDWG Co-Chairs will now proceed to report to the AfriNIC Board on
> this proposal and will recommend ratification by the Board.
>
> Regards,
>
> PDWG Co-Chairs

So it appears that the PDP Co-Chairs called consensus, did the last call
and asked the Board to ratify.

On 07/06/2017 05:13, Andrew Alston wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>

> So, I was looking at the current soft landing policy – and I’m now
> confused –
>

> According to the history of the policy as per what is published:
>

> On the 28^th of May 2011 the last call completed and the PDWG
> co-chairs declared no consensus.
>
> On the 5^th of August 2011 an updated version of the proposal was
> posted to the website and the rpd mailing list
>
> On the 11^th of November 2011 the proposal was ratified by the board
> under resolution 201111.138
>

> Can someone explain to me how this is possible – because between the
> posting of an updated version of the proposal on the 5^th of August
> 2011 and the resolution that ratified the policy – there was no public
> policy meeting – the public policy meeting was held at AFRINIC-15 from
> the 19^th to 25^th of November 2011 in Cameroon.
>

> Even if we assume that consensus on the policy was found at AFRINIC-14
> between the 4^th and 10^th of June 2011 in Dar es Salaam – the process
> states that there should have been another last call period on the
> policy that was ratified (even if modifications were concluded in dar
> es salaam).
>

> So – if that history is correct on the policy – the ratification of
> the policy is not valid since it is a violation of the PDP process –
> does anyone have any archives that go back this far so we can get a
> real history on the current policy and check its validity please?
>

> Thanks
>

> Andrew

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496