[rpd] Soft Landing SD Proposal

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Mon May 29 19:09:14 UTC 2017

Dear all,
After we submitted the last draft, staff wrote an assessment of the same.
Below is our response to the assessment for the record.

2.0 Staff Comment

Text in 5.4.4.1 and 5.4.4.2 are somewhat difficult to understand.
In 5.4.4.1, is the "total allocations/assignments" the total for that
organisation over all time, or the total issued during a particular phase,
or something else?

Response:

The “total allocations​/assignments” refers to the those
“allocations​/assignments” received by the member during each phase. Once
we enter phase 2(or if a member wait time elapse and we are still in
phase1) the allocation counter restarts for such member.

For more clarity, we propose to update 5.4.4.1 to the following:

“5.4.4.1 An organization may request additional IPv4 address space in both
Phase 1 and Phase 2. However, such an organisation's total
allocations/assignments received in each phase must not exceed the maximum
allowable prefix of /16 for Exhaustion Phase 1 and /20 for Exhaustion Phase
2.”

Staff Comment
In 5.4.4.2, is the ability to "request for another round" restricted to
only one additional round, or may there be more?

Response:

There is no limit on number of rounds, so long as:

   1.

   The member 24months wait time has elapsed.
   2.

   That there is still IPv4 resource available to allocate
   3.

   We are still in the same phase.

Staff Comment
5.4.4.2 seems to be an exception to 5.4.4.1.  They could be re-worded in
such a way that no exception is needed.

Response:

While we believe that the last /8 should be allocated in a fair manner, we
also don't want V4 space lifetime to span for so long hence we added the
exception to allow members who need the resource access to them.

On 29 May 2017 at 19:33, Dewole Ajao <dewole at forum.org.ng> wrote:

> Policy proposal and Staff analysis are at https://www.afrinic.net/en/
> community/policy-development/policy-proposals/2089-soft-landing-sd
>
> Please reply within this thread to submit your comments.
>
> Regards,
> PDWG Co-Chairs.

Douglas Onyango, PRINCE 2, ITILv3
UG: +256 776 716 138