[rpd] Board Election 2017: Final Candidate Slate

Mouhamet Diop mouhamet at next.sn
Mon May 22 16:54:17 UTC 2017

+1
Agree 100%

Mouhamet

> > On May 22, 2017, at 5:29 AM, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.
> com> wrote:
> > We have a requirement that says that candidates must have participated
> in X number of meetings in X amount of time.  I would argue that the
> meetings do not lend themselves to the types of people you want running a
> company.    The types of people you want running a company have deep
> business experience and are in C level structures – the nature of AfriNIC
> meetings is that they are fundamentally technical .  That is not a bad
> thing and I think that the AfriNIC meetings are great – I just think that
> the participation requirements limit the TYPE of candidate we so
> desperately need.
>
> ARIN has now had four (I think) board members who had never attended a
> meeting before serving.  All relatively recently.
>
> While the theory of what you’re saying is sound, Andrew, I’d say that our
> industry has a vast amount of realm-specific knowledge needed to understand
> what’s going on and contribute usefully, and that need percolates
> surprisingly deeply into the decisions an RIR board needs to make.
>
> So, I think having one person on the board who has no prior RIR meetings
> or experience won’t do any harm, and they may contribute other strengths
> that are missing…  but any significant number of such people, and you won’t
> have the background necessary to understand the decisions in context.
>
> > Recognition of prior learning encompasses experience gained over the
> years and a variety of other factors.  I believe that there are many
> successful people who have risen to the top of their respective
> organizations and to the level where they have sufficient experience that
> can be proven and demonstrated to perform the function – and any
> restriction that limits the participation of such people would be counter
> productive.
>
> Yeah, that I agree with entirely.  I’ve served on boards with people who
> hadn’t completed high school, and they were just as effective as people
> with doctorates.  Academic experience is no predictor of business
> competence, and an RIR isn’t a university.
>
>                                 -Bill

*M. Mouhamet Diop*
CEO & CHAIRMAN
Kheweul.Com - ICANN Accredited Registrar
NEXT, an Innovative Consulting Company
http://www.kheweul.org - www.kheweul.com
http://www.sinapps.sn
Tel: +221 33 821 29 39
Mob: +221 77 444 23 50
Skype: laminediop
Facebook/Kheweul.com
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/kheweulcom/440998055988654>
Twitter/Kheweul_sn <https://twitter.com/kheweul_sn>
*KHEWEUL.COM <http://kheweul.com/> SA*
Beyond Expected! Meilleur registrar africain 2013
(Nom de domaine - Hébergement - Site Web)
Adresse: 79 Rue Joseph Gomis BP 7474 DAKAR - SENEGAL