[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Controversial anti-shutdown policy discussed at RIPE

Ish Sookun ish at lsl.digital
Fri May 12 19:27:29 UTC 2017

Hi Abel,

On 12/05/17 16:08, abel ELITCHA wrote:
> No Owen, What issue are we solving? The actual debate is about how to deal
> with governments shutting down free and open access to the internet.
> The problem statement says:
>
> "
> 1. Summary of the problem being addressed by this proposal
>
> Over the last few years we have seen more and more governments shutting
> down the free and open access to the internet in order to push political
> and other agendas.  These shutdowns have been shown to cause economic
> damage and hurt the citizens of the affected countries.

I quote Afrinic's mission statement [1]:

	"To serve the African community by providing professional and efficient
management of Internet number resources, *supporting Internet technology
usage and development*, and promoting a participative and
multi-stakeholder approach to Internet self-governance."

Internet shutdowns negatively impact « internet technology usage and
development ».

Regards,

Ish Sookun

[1] https://afrinic.net/en/library/policies/current/844-mission