[rpd] Correcting some misconceptions about the anti-shutdown policy proposal

Lu Heng h.lu at anytimechinese.com
Thu Apr 13 14:55:12 UTC 2017

Hi Alan:

Thanks for clarification.

I agree with all your point, and I think what the proposal says is
irreverent to AFRINIC Ltd's operation unless it become a policy.

As the very open nature of the policy development process, anyone on the
planet can put forward a policy with whatever the content, therefore policy
development mailing list, with all its proposals, are nothing more than
discussions.

It may or may not reach consensus in a wider community discussion, and
until then, it's just discussion in a free speech world.

Some people not familiar with the PDP might take PDP as internal discussion
process but it's really not.

And as internet citizen, all of us in the community would want to have a
open internet without restrictions to allow information's free flow,
whether such political flight should take place with AFRINIC's policy, is
an debatable subject.

I truly hope wakeup tomorrow in a world that information will be treated by
government as essential human needs such as water, air, and food, and
recognize that everyone will need free flow information, unrestricted.

On 13 April 2017 at 22:27, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:

> A proposal has been put forward by some individuals in the community, but
> no decisions have been made.
>
> The AFRINIC community's policy development process is open to all. Anybody
> can propose a policy, but if it fails to find rough consensus in the
> community then it will not be implemented. AFRINIC as an organisation has
> not yet assessed the legal or other ramifications of the policy proposal
> under discussion.
>
> There are a few misconceptions that I have encountered more than once:
>
> 1. It’s a proposal that has entered the early discussion phase, it’s not a
> policy.
>
> 2. The proposal was not made by AFRINIC, it was made by members of the
> community.
>
> 3. The proposal does not suggest that AFRINIC should cut off Internet
> access in any countries.  It suggests that AFRINIC should stop allocating
> IP addresses to certain governments and government-related entities under
> certain circumstances.
>
> 4. The proposal does not suggest that AFRINIC should stop allocating IP
> addresses to ordinary businesses or users in countries that suffer Internet
> shutdowns; the proposal is targeting only the governments or
> government-related entities.
>
> Alan Barrett
> CEO, AFRINIC

Kind regards.