[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 06:32:51 UTC 2017

On 13 April 2017 at 08:42, Tutu Ngcaba <pan.afrikhan at gmail.com> wrote:

> How are you Mukom,
>
> On 13 Apr 2017 5:41 a.m., "Mukom Akong T." <mukom.tamon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> **wearing no hats**
>
> On 13 April 2017 at 01:54, Honest Ornella GANKPA <honest1989 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I believe it would not
>

> a) 90% or more of AFRINIC staff is based in Mauritius
> b) 80% or more of the tools these staff use every day to work for members
> are based in Mauritius
> c) A shutdown in Mauritius will mean
>        - none of the tools are available
>        - no communication can be had with members
>        - you won't be able to raise a resource request, fix a problem with
> your resources
>
> that's just Mauritius.
>

> If it happens in your country mauritius where the Afrinic is, then
> solution is not this bad policy because government shutdown due to politics
> has happen before in some other country and eventually intermet restored
> without even existance of such bad policy or involvement of the Afrinic.

I was just providing a logical response to Honest's question.

It was meant to drive home the point that a shutdown in ANY country
where AFRINIC has operations potentially affects all AFRINIC members and
potentially the entire Internet (to a lower extent)

> The Solution is to have the Afrinic tools spread across our continent
> since in mauritius even cyclone weather or Tsunami disaster shall cause
> internet shutdown of island.
>
> I think this is reason why backup datacenter in South africa and Egypt
> even you can put in west africa country too if budget is there.

And also have two of each function spread around different countries. That
level of redundancy has inherent inefficiencies and costs ... these costs
must be borne by someone and right now, that someone is an AFRINIC member.