[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed Apr 12 20:36:38 UTC 2017

Hi Honest,
At 12:58 12-04-2017, Honest Ornella GANKPA wrote:
>If Afrinic refuses to provide services and revoke ressources to our
>national ISP, it affects a large amount of Benin's internet users.
>Is that not punishing Benin's internet users community? It might not
>be the intent but has the same effect

I asked the third question [1] to the authors of the proposal as I
was not sure whether it would cover the above case.

You asked a good question.  Is it appropriate to refuse to provide or
revoke resources for an Internet Service Provider which services over
50% of the users in a country?  I asked the president of ISOC
Mauritius for his opinion about the proposal.  I also pointed users
in the country to the proposal as I cannot speak on their behalf.

What if there was an internet shutdown in Mauritius?  Would it affect
the operations of the national ISP in Benin?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2017/006508.html