[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Kris Seeburn seeburn.k at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 17:07:49 UTC 2017

SM let us take ICTA which is the authority in mauritius that you would also recall has in the past acted on behalf of the Government instructions and we know pretty well what was done and what was effectively laid down in the press about these action. If we look at the act and purview under which the mauritius ICTA was created like it or not the board of ICTA are government nominees from chair to each and every member. They are independent per say but the reality is always different.

If the chair and members are instructed to act on a decision of the minister or the prime minister would they act or not? The answer is very obvious. Let apart we are also seeing relative actions in our financial sector. Without going into details, independent on paper is a nice word to have. But we need to face the facts.

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 8:30 PM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
>
> Hi Kris,
> At 07:36 12-04-2017, Kris Seeburn wrote:
>> I am in total agreement with you on your different points. The issue however we like to put it stands behind political/government decisions. The regulator acts on behalf of the government and of course forces ISPs to act or react. The fight for net neutrality and
>
> The regulator I am familiar with is described as an independent body corporate.  It would no longer be independent if it acts on behalf of the executive branch of government and it would not be able to create a level playing field for all service providers operating in the country in the interest of consumers in general.
>
> There are other issues, e.g. would the internet service provider disrupt or intercept the communication of one or more of its users as the executive branch asked it to do that without providing any legal basis?
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy

Kris Seeburn
seeburn.k at gmail.com