[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 09:08:22 UTC 2017

Hello,

These are government entities(their addresses and contacts will give you a
hint) and my point is that banning/restricting government entities because
the presidency gave an order to shutdown the internet isn't appropriate.
The government itself that gave the order isn't the member, it is her
entities that are members and those entities did not need to get approval
of the presidency to acquire their space. Going the proposed route:

- Does not promote the open internet me and you are clamouring for.
- Will not make AFRINIC sustainable in the long run
- May serve as a distraction to AFRINIC in performing her core function of
keeping record and administration of IP resource for our region.
- Takes AFRINIC from being a neutral entity to being more politically
inclined
- In the long run, It further breaks the internet than fix it because I
will then have to resolve to NATing if I can't get access to my space
anymore
- It exposes AFRINIC to unnecessary legal suits from those entities which
AFRINIC has an agreement with, also consider the legal cost that will be
involved
- It affects the economy negatively and reduces competition among providers.
- At first it sounds like it will help service providers which are
privately owned but in the long run it wouldn't because some of the
providers income can still be traced to those govt entities.

Again while the intent is great, a policy at RIR level cannot be the
solution. So this is not a matter of rewording the policy in a way that is
acceptable its more that this isn't practical (especially if we want to
re-word to apply to govt alone because they are not the members) and it is
unreasonable/unfair if we want to apply it to govt entities.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!