[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed Apr 12 08:53:44 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,
At 20:15 11-04-2017, Andrew Alston wrote:
>Firstly, there is no link between the statement
>issued by the board of directors and this
>policy.  This policy was written by individuals
>who have strong views on the subject and have a
>belief in standing for a free and open
>internet.  It was driven by what we are seeing
>happening around the globe and the ever
>increasing violation of the what we consider a
>human right, the access to be able to communicate freely and openly.

Ok.

>Secondly, on the economic damage, as was already posted, please see

I read the document.  Page 1 of the document
quotes a 2015 report from a trade association in
the United States as follows: "the web generates
around $966 billion in the United States".  I am
interested in the economic damage to African
companies as the discussion is about a regional
proposal.  The document cites a five paragraph
article written by the Organisation for Economic
Co-operation and Development in 2011 about the
economic impact of shutting down Internet and
mobile phone services in Egypt.  I could not
verify whether the estimate is accurate.

According to a fact sheet published by Afrinic,
the company has a fully operational disaster
recovery centre in Egypt which is co-located with
the Egyptian Ministry of Communication and
Information Technology.  According to Ahram
Online, there was three telecommunication
companies and internet providers operating in
Egypt which "performed a series of experiments on
how to severe connections as early as April 2008" [1].

Has Afrinic assessed whether it is an
operationally sound decision to have a disaster
recovery centre in a location where there has been an internet shutdown?

>With regards to your third question ­ that
>particular clause is an interesting one ­ and we
>are quite open to a better definition there ­
>what we were attempting to do was ensure that
>states who lost their resources couldn't simply
>do an end run around the policy by using third
>party organizations for supply of said
>resources.  It is not the ideal wording for that
>clause and it probably needs some wordsmithing,
>and we're open to ideas, but the idea is to
>ensure that those who attempt to assist
>government in making a run around the policy
>face consequences as well.  Let us debate how we can best accomplish this.
>is.

I'll send some text for the definition in about a
week.  Meanwhile, I'll make a quick
comment.    The text in the proposal does not
match the intent which is described above.  As an
example, there is currently a direct relationship
between Afrinic and an IXP.  The text could be
interpreted as meaning that Afrinic would no
longer be allowed to allocate number resources to
itself.  That is in line with Section 2 which
states that "the time has come for action to be
taken, rather than just bland statements that
have shown to have little or no effect".

It would be good to have the debate in a regional
venue instead of talking about the matter in
countries outside Africa.  I am currently neutral on the proposal.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/13282.aspx