[rpd] New Policy Proposal - "Anti-Shutdown (AFPUB-2017-GEN-001-DRAFT-01)"

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 21:38:19 UTC 2017

Hello,

While internet shutdown remains what AFRINIC and other I* organisations
should speak against, I do not believe that addressing this via an RIR
policy is the right nor a practical way to do this.

The policy is simply proposing to ban certain AFRINIC members, even though
those members have nothing to do with government's (usually the presidency)
decision to shutdown internet. Based on the current wording of the
proposal, such members could include federal/state establishments like
institutions, ministries, RENs, federal and state development agencies et
all who will perhaps hear the news of the ban just like any other person
(and ofcourse may have been unable to do anything even if they had prior
knowledge).

Overall, the fact that there is NO member within AFRINIC database called
"government" makes this proposal impractical.

Nevertheless, like I have said earlier, continuous effort needs to be made
towards campaigning/educating against shutdowns and perhaps AFRINIC as an
organisation can further engage/contribute to respective governmental
policies in the region (cybersecurity policies for instance).

May be something for the AFGWG to consider.

Regards