[rpd] Report of the Soft Landing isuue

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Mon Apr 3 13:23:13 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Andrew Alston <
Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:

> Noah,
>

> If you want to make a judgement like this – please – do me a favour and
> take the number of originating ASN’s v4 vs v6… it will give you far more
> accurate information

Ok the IPv4 and IPv6 FIB on my routers aside.

I consider the below stats pretty accurate...

IPv4 is over 50k ASN's

http://bgp.potaroo.net/cgi-bin/plota?file=%2fvar%2fdata%2fbgp%2fas2%2e0%2fbgp%2das%2dterm%2etxt&descr=Origin%20ASes&ylabel=Origin%20ASes&range=--OR--&StartDate=1%2F3%2F2003&EndDate=now&with=step

IPv6 over 10k ASN's and this is pretty much dual-stalk with a small % of
green-field IPv6 ASN's.

http://bgp.potaroo.net/cgi-bin/plota?file=%2fvar%2fdata%2fbgp%2fv6%2fas2%2e0%2fbgp%2das%2dterm%2etxt&descr=Origin%20ASes&ylabel=Origin%20ASes&with=step

So going back to my point, the remaining soft-landing IPv4 should be traded
with care on need basis as number don't lie.

> Andrew

Noah