[rpd] Report of the Soft Landing isuue

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Apr 3 13:19:41 UTC 2017

On 03/04/2017 14:50, Noah wrote:
> Elkin,
>
> Ok talking of ASN's, since most networks either have a /32 or /48 IPv6
> allocation assigned to them,  shall we safely suggest that only less
> that 20k networks (ASN's) announce their IPv6 aggregates.
>
> In anycase,  a prefix count of over 600k for IPv4 vs over 30k for IPv6
>  and an ASN count of over 60k originating IPv4 prefixes vs an ASN
> count of over 10k originating IPv6 prefixes, my argument still holds
> on restricting remaining IPv4 space and allocate it on need basis.

Using your numbers, if one looks at the Address Table ratio of 600 to
30, thats 20:1
Using your ASN count ratio - its now 60:20 or 3:1.
a 3:1 ratio seems a lot worse than a 20:1 ratio

I'd still like to see what the real ratios are though.
I did find at:-
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/emileaben/ipv6-asns-size-matters
"At 70%, the percentage of IPv4 address space announced by ASNs that
also announce IPv6 is in stark contrast with the fact that only around
1.5% of end users can actually use the IPv6 Internet, according to
Google's statistics."

> Meanwhile lets promote more IPv6 adoption for those already with
> address space.

With that - I agree,

mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496