[rpd] Report of the Soft Landing isuue

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Sun Mar 26 12:01:16 UTC 2017

The co-chairs cannot act as editors for a proposal that they have to adjudicate consensus on.

That cannot happen - it is beyond their mandate granted by the bylaws and it creates a direct conflict of interest situation, which is something we have worked hard to address at all levels within AfriNIC.

Furthermore, any individual is free to propose another policy if they feel that something on the table does not meet their needs.

As for the reference to us refusing to work with the authors of the bis proposal - I point out that mutual withdrawal and then working together on a mutual proposal was proposed by the authors of the withdrawn policy - it was the authors of that policy that acted in good faith making that proposal.  It was the authors of the bis policy that agreed to that proposal in front of the entire community and then acted in extreme bad faith and refused to follow through.

If the authors of the bis policy with to attempt to update it in an effort to find consensus on it - that is their choice - however it is also the choice of any individual to propose another policy if they choose - just as it is the choice of the community to decide if they wish any amendment whatsoever to the current soft landing at this late stage of the game.  My gut feeling though as I have stated before is that no soft landing ammendment will get consensus in the short to medium term and by the time we get consensus on one it will be to late to make sense.

For the record - I stand opposed to the softlanding-bis policy for all the reasons I have stated time and again - and my substantive and valid objections have yet to be addressed by the authors of said policy.

Andrew