[rpd] Last Call for "AFPUB-2016-V4-003-DRAFT03"

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Tue Jan 10 07:52:10 UTC 2017

On 6 Jan 2017, at 10:38, SamiSalih wrote:

> Dear Nishal,
>
> I hope the legal advisor ack on revising the RSA if the community
> endorse this new policy in the last call period

hi sami,

indeed it does.  thank you for that.  for clarity - my questions about
the RSA were intended to get an understanding of how the process would
run to completion.  since it’s clear to me that you shouldn’t
(can’t ?) have two conflicting pieces of
policy/contract/call-it-what-you-want published.  i recall the last RSA
change being quite a lot of work…

i still don’t understand the need for the policy though (per my
original request) since, if the “source” is not using the space they
could have simply just opted to return this to afrinic, and we could
have all had less policy fuss in our lives.  but i can easily understand
how, (and not agree with) someone might want to monetise this process
instead.

to me this policy still feels wrong;  you’re rewarding abusers of
existing policy, by encouraging them to sit on unused space, only to
hope to monetise this later.  so i remain opposed, because i think this
policy is unnecessary, and creates two new pieces of work (new policy +
change to RSA) and breeds wrong practice, whereas the existing
returned-unused space process, is just one step.  but i am on record for
saying that we spend too much time on ipv4 policy, and i don’t intend
to contribute needlessly to that :-)

—n.