[rpd] AnyCast assignments - Update

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Nov 28 11:26:04 UTC 2014

>2. Summary of how this proposal addresses the problem
>
>This proposal allows the use of:
>
>a. One (1) /24 of IPv4 for anycast services from a PA allocation of
>an LIR or direct end-user assignment.
>b. One /48 of IPv6 for anycast services from an IPv6 LIR allocation
>or direct end-user assignment.
>c. An AS Number for anycast purposes.

Clause 2 appears to require the applicant to use all three of the IPv4,
IPv6, and ASN.  However, under clause 3, it uses "and/or" to allow the
applicant to choose any subset of those three items.  I think this
should be clarified, possibly by the use of words like this in the first
sentence of clause 2:

   2. This proposal allows the use of any one or more of the following:

It's also not clear whether the restriction to "one" IPv4 /24, IPv6
/48, or ASN, means only one forever, or one per application (with the
freedom to apply for another one later).  I'd prefer to allow the use of
multiple such subnets or ASNs, if the applicant is providing multiple
anycast services and has adequate justification for not placing them all
in the same subnet or ASN.

I'd also like this proposal to be usable for any kind of anycast, even
those not invented yet.

--apb (Alan Barrett)