[rpd] Interpret based on Policy but Regional Developement should be Priority 1

Kofi ANSA AKUFO kofi.ansa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 03:43:05 UTC 2014

Noah how are these organisations contributing to regional development?

Anyway I put the challenge to these organisations which aquire such huge
allocations to take up some social responsibilities in the region.

IT is great to hear AfriNIC has a Research Department now and I hope it is
not going to continue blindly copying or replicating what other research
depts in other RIRs (i.e RIPE) are doing which has insignificant impact in
our region, but to be creative and take up initiatives to reflect the
critical issues on the ground. There are many interesting and passionate
youth initiatives going on in our region. The new research department can
work with the AfriNIC FIRE team to identify such initiatives.

One that quickly comes into mind is about a student in Ghana - Kpetermeni
Siakor who is helping to use internet technology to help eradicate the
Ebola epidermic. You can read more from  the link below.
http://ashesi.edu.gh/news-and-events/1915-how-one-liberian-student-at-ashesi-is-using-technology-to-help-his-country-fight-ebola.html

And whilst we have AN OPPORTUNITY to appoint a new CEO I need not stress
the importance of picking a leader who is passionate about the African
course, a team player who is smart to put the link between our resource
management and regional development in terms of content and internet
enabled activities in our region.

Cheers

K.

take up projects that reflects issues on the ground in