[members-discuss] Re: [rpd] Board Statement with regards to allocation of large blocks of IP Addresses

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:42:14 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:

> Thank you Sunday, for that report.  I am in agreement with all of it,
> but I would like to hightlght these two paragraphs:
>
>  The board has been given every assurance that AfriNIC staff followed
>> the IP allocation policy with regards to all allocations already made.
>>

>  The board appeals to the community and to the AfriNIC members to
>> examine the current policies in light of the discussions held in
>> recent weeks and should the community feel that a change is needed,
>> the board encourages the members to follow the processes defined and
>> propose suitable changes to the current policies.
>>

> I think it's especially important that both members applying for address
> space, and staff handling such applications, should follow both the letter
> and the spirit of the existing policies.
>
> The staff should take reasonable measures to check the information
> presented in applications, and the amount of checking that is reasonable
> goes up with the size of the requested space.  The Board should be aware of
> what's going on, especially when it may be controversial, but should not
> interfere without very good cause.
>
> If people think that the policies allow things that should not be allowed,
> then the correct remedial action is not to petition the staff or the board
> to do things outside the policy, but rather to go through the policy
> development process to change the policy.
>
> Finally, may we interpret the Board's message as meaning that Heng Lu's
> application is now approved, and no longer under review?

I think i will be surprised if board respond with a yes or no to this
question as it will most likely go against the principle that they have
highlighted in their earlier mail. Basically the way i have understood
board's message is that the board is not in the position to review/approve
allocation request as that is the role of staff. I also understand from
boards mail that staff is expected to make their assessment and decisions
based on the existing policies and procedures.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*