[rpd] Recruitment of AfriNIC CEO

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 04:24:23 UTC 2014

@Bill,

You might be the recruitment agency we are talking about :-)

walu.
On Sat, 11/22/14, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [rpd] Recruitment of AfriNIC CEO
 To: "Douglas Onyango" <ondouglas at gmail.com>
 Cc: "AfriNIC Discuss" <members-discuss at afrinic.net>, "AfrICANN list" <africann at afrinic.net>, "rpd >> AfriNIC Resource Policy" <rpd at afrinic.net>
 Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014, 2:34 AM

 On Nov
 21, 2014, at 1:13 AM, Douglas Onyango <ondouglas at gmail.com>
 wrote:
 > While internal knowledge of the
 community is key, I think it may confines our search team to
 only the community, which may or may not deliver the very
 best candidate.

 To my
 observation, an executive who’s able to represent an RIR
 autonomously, without carting around a planeload of
 technical advisors, is a great economy and efficiency.

 The down-side is that, as you
 say, that means recruiting from “within the community”
 which limits the pool, and may mean that you don’t get
 someone who _also_ has the very best management skills.

 But RIRs are medium-to-small
 organizations, so a top-flight manager is probably a lot
 less important than someone who can address policy issues
 with authority, and speak for the RIR in Internet governance
 meetings.

 To some
 degree, ARIN has addressed the issue by bifurcating the
 senior managerial role: John Curran, our CEO, is the public
 face of the organization, and consequently has to be on the
 road at meetings a lot.  Nate Davis, our COO, provides much
 of the day-to-day management of the staff and business
 operations.  So that’s one approach, and it works well
 for ARIN.

 It also costs two
 salaries.  So, it seems like the ideal CEO candidate for
 AfriNIC would be a single person who embodies experience
 with the community and organization (perhaps a past board
 member, or active community member?), managerial experience,
 and the financial experience needed to guide AfriNIC through
 its current difficulties.  Someone who wears a suit well
 and can easily project a reassuring demeanor to the many
 governments and regulators in the African region, would be
 an added benefit.

                           -Bill

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----