[rpd] proposed policy: reservation of resources for IXPs

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Wed Oct 29 16:22:52 UTC 2014

Hi Walu,

On 10/29/2014 6:23 PM, Walubengo J wrote:
> jst some questions for Mich & Co.
>
> 1) The policy presumes that IXP infrastructure in Africa is best on v4, hence and therefore lets reserve the v4 for this. But Is this true? What's wrong with IXP infrastructure on v6? And if there is nothing wrong, then do we really need this policy?

This policy does not presume that IXP infrastructure in Africa is best on
v4. It actually implies that IXPs are key infrastructure that need to
support the transition towards IPv6. Therefore they need to be dual-stacked.

Based on that point, think of those countries in Africa that have
ISPs/Operators, etc but do not have an IXP. This map provides information
about the countries without an IXP.
 https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203451807916585765419.0004d984b1be3af823a35&msa=0&ll=-1.406109,22.675781&spn=94.302473,132.539063

The consideration being sought is; those countries currently without an IXP
are likely to establish an IXP based on the ongoing efforts in the region
to assist in setting up IXPs. It is worth noting that most of these
countries without an IXP have ISPs/operators on IPv4. Therefore when the
country is ready to establish an IXP, it is important to ensure that it can
support legacy networks on IPv4 and IPv6.

We want us to be prepared for new IXPs to be established even after IPv4
resources at AfriNIC run out.

> 2) If we adopt this policy, are we implicitly encouraging v4 "comfort zone" in Africa when the rest of the world moves on and tackles any challenges v6 may provide in the context of IXP infrastructure?

On the contrary. The adoption of this policy ensures that the objective of
keeping local traffic within the region is supported by providing future
IXPs with the resourced needed to interconnect both IPv4 and IPv6 networks
using best practices. As the map shows, we will need to have more IXPs in
Africa, and as IPv4 will stay with us for some more time, these new IXPs
need to have IPv4 addresses for participants.

Regards,
Frank ( & Michuki & Nishal )

PS: sorry for non-ascii, URI would wrap without :-(