[rpd] AfriNIC policy AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01 reject

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Oct 22 07:31:27 UTC 2014

(Before writing this, I need to state that what follows is NOT written in my capacity as an AfriNIC director nor should it be read as portraying the views of the AfriNIC board in any way shape or form)

Actually Borg,

I can concretely demonstrate that the availability of IPv4 addressing can have an impact on business investment.

Let me give you an example, since this is already in the media.

Liquid is planning to invest $200 MILLION in African expansion over the next 24 months, this was published here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-11/liquid-telecom-to-invest-200-million-in-african-expansion.html

While we are dual-stacking *everything* with v4 and v6 as a standard rule, like it or not, we still need IPv4 space to do this.  (Without v4 addressing, there are a number of things we cannot accomplish at the moment).

This however also raises the debate on the proposed AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01 policy.  On a personal level (and representing Liquid) I oppose this policy, on the grounds that I do not believe it will actually serve to protect African interests.  I have long opposed geographic restrictions on where space can be used by legitimate African entities, for a variety of reasons and will continue to do so.  I do not believe that placing arbitrary numbers (be they 10%, 20% or any other number) on the percentage of space that can be used in region or out of region is a helpful thing to do.  Particularly since none of these policies actually contain a proper definition of what constitutes in-region vs out-of-region use.  (For example, if I originate a /16 in Africa via a BGP network statement or via redistribution, the space was originated in Africa, nothing stops me internally using more specifics to keep routing to that space out of continent though)

I also believe very strongly that large African multi-nationals that are expanding both in the African region and outside of the African region should be able to get space for ALL their operations irrespective of where they are geographically based, since the expansion of these companies does benefit Africa as a whole, both in terms of economic growth and in terms of African employment to run equipment located off continent).

But believe me, coming from an environment where having address space is critical to the business, there is a correlation between investment and address space, and it can be clearly demonstrated.

I do believe that we need to protect the African resources from being pillaged by non-African entities and IP Brokers.  I will strongly support policy that prevents African resources flowing off continent into the hands of those who have absolutely no link to Africa AND where there is no benefit (quantitative) to the continent.  I just do not believe at this point we have a policy proposal that fulfills these objectives.

Thanks

Andrew Alston

Andrew Alston
Head of IP Strategy
Liquid Telecommunications Limited, 6 New Street Square, London EC4A 3BF
T: +27 76 219 7933 (ZA) T: +254 733 2222 04 (KE)