[afnog] [rpd] Re: A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 17:17:11 UTC 2014

@Owen

+1

walu
......as myself :-)
On Wed, 9/24/14, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [afnog] [rpd] Re: A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!
 To: "Omo Oaiya" <omo at wacren.net>
 Cc: "AfriNIC Resource Policy" <rpd at afrinic.net>, "Andrew Alston" <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
 Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 2:34 AM

 Asking
 AfriNIC staff to implement the spirit of the policy rather
 than taking care to write what we really want as a community
 into the letter of the policy is a very dangerous
 request.
 If you had a
 loosely written policy to a dozen people and ask each of
 them to explain the spirit of the policy, it is unlikely
 that more than one or two of them (at best) will come
 particularly close to the original author’s stated intent
 for the policy.
 More
 importantly, you will probably have at least 12 different
 (and often some of them radically different) ideas as to the
 core intent of the policy.
 I agree that the allocation is
 suspicious, but if the postmasters say that the
 justification supplied meets policy, then I believe we must
 trust them absent any strong evidence of fraud. Share
 suspicion alone is not sufficient.
 I suspect that the domains are being
 used to host VPNs and are likely serving end-users outside
 the region via these VPNs. Currently, there’s nothing in
 AfriNIC policy to prohibit that. I leave it as an exercise
 for other members of this list to decide whether there
 should be policy to prohibit such allocations.
 I will say this… Regardless of how
 we hand out the remaining IPv4 addresses, the simple reality
 is that IPv4 will soon be much less important than having an
 IPv6 deployment and I believe that the community would be
 better served by aggressively implementing IPv6 than by
 handwringing over the mechanism by which the limited IPv4
 free pool is drained.
 Owen
 On Sep 23, 2014, at 5:39 AM,
 Omo Oaiya <omo at wacren.net>
 wrote:
 Hi
 It is easy enough to say the
 "community" does not participate and this may be
 true but the "community" also needs to feel its
 voice can be heard.  We also don't all have to be
 involved in policy making to see the obvious.
 Policies are only ideas. It is the
 implementation that counts and quite often the spirit is as
 important as the letter.   Writing yet another policy does
 not necessarily fix the issue.  Some of the policies that
 have been suggested have outcomes that are satisfied by the
 requirements for justification in existing policies.  What
 we perhaps need to revise is our understanding of the
 content and contexts of existing policies.
 Btw, thanks to the staff for
 reverting and even if process was followed as implied, a /12
 is an odd million addresses and remains a million anyhow you
 shake it up.   An innovation that requires this many
 addresses in today's African Internet is not likely to
 be missed by the pundits.   Would be nice to see the
 utilisation that convinced staff .... Mr Lu has not been
 able to revert on the funny domains with random letters and
 no website.  Can anyone help him?
 <Speaking as myself ... inline
 with the latest trends >
 Best wishes