[rpd] Re: [afnog] A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 16:20:52 UTC 2014

Dear Koffi and Omo,

I am not holding brief for any applicant or hostmaster, but if a
request comes, that shows that an LIR can, and will allocate a /12,
you want AfriNIC to allocate a /22? Is that the interpretation of 8.3?
to wit:

<BEGIN 8.3>
AFRINIC shall apply a slow start mechanism to all new LIRs. With
respect to allocations made by AFRINIC, the first allocation an LIR
receives will be the size of the minimum practical allocation
described in Section 8.2 (a) unless otherwise justified.
The slow start policy is used by all RIR's to prevent allocations of
large blocks of address space that may then remain substantially
unassigned. AFRINIC implements the slow start mechanism in a
consistent and fair manner for every LIR, and will apply the same
principles and standards to every applicant for address space.
<END 8.3>

What about the last clause ... "unless otherwise justified?". Are you
saying that:
  o Applicant did not provide justification
  o Applicant provided justification but was not ok with hostmasters
  o Applicant provided justification and it was ok
  o Applicant provided fraudulent justification
  o None of the above.

Omo's email further gives nuances to some preferential actions, apart
from previous accusations of corruption. What exactly are we dealing
with?

Let me summarize Andrew's email again: When a Board begins to reach
into operational matters not clearly in its charter or schedule, or
not specifically assigned by policy, it is recipe for disaster.

Sunday.