[rpd] Factors affecting in-region utilization - way forward?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jul 22 19:56:09 UTC 2014

On Monday, July 21, 2014 02:34:31 PM Stephen Wilcox wrote:

> My point is being accepted by an upstream != globally
> routable. And internal use of long prefixes (which is
> what I think you are seeing in route-views) doesn't
> count. What I see is a lot of examples of (very bad
> netiquette) deaggregation being performed by the same
> handful of ASNs...

And my point was if a "Really Big Global Carrier" is
accepting and routing longer-than-/24's and /48's in their
network (which reasonably well-connected and peers with
other large carriers who have a similar persuasion), there
is a higher (but still remote) chance that some portion of
those longer subnets could be routable.

Not very globally, but the intermittent performance would
certainly raise enough frustration for some operators to
seriously consider this.

What I'm saying is - don't even do it. Doing it half-way is
worse than not doing it at all, because it sets expectations
that are difficult to undo.

Mark.