[rpd] Re: Factors affecting in-region utilization - way forward?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 07:42:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 7:33 AM, Guy Antony Halse <G.halse at ru.ac.za> wrote:

>  3) our management will never buy into that; or
>
>  4) our auditors will never allow that!
>
> The first two I can work with.  However, the last two are particularly
> damaging :(.  And the fact that (external) auditors can and do intimidate
> organisations into using NAT "for security reasons" distresses me.  About
> two years ago, I watched a fairly large university give up the equivelent
> of a /19 of real world address space in favour of NAT primarily because of
> 4), and its subsequent impact via an internal audit & risk committee on 3).
>
> As someone who has served in a number of institution, I must say item 4 is
quite new to me (and that view is perhaps applicable to many universities
in my country). Item 3 is usually what is on the list for institution from
my localty. Below is the order that is experienced

1) We don't think its necessary to change - Infact this is mostly the case
and when ICT directorate of an institution don't think there is any
benefit/need to run native v4 every other item below get stalled!

2) We understand the need to change but scare of security implications

3) Our ISP is hindering our change due to extra recurring charges

4) Our management may not approve extra cost of internet (its not something
to feel and touch like classrooms :))

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*