[rpd] Re: Factors affecting in-region utilization - way forward?

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at ixreach.com
Sun Jul 20 20:45:35 UTC 2014

On 20 July 2014 21:46, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> So if a service provider takes action against de-aggregates
>> (either by blocking them off or charging for them), it puts
>> them at a disadvantage with their competitors.
>>

> This has always been the case, but so far its not made a difference…
>

> 1. You don’t actually know that.
> 2. Are you certain it isn’t the primary reason nobody is doing this (yet)?
>
> I would argue that it is very likely the the primary reason and thus has,
> so far, made all the difference.

I mean, that providers have always either refused to accept small address
blocks (/24 has been the "limit" for many years, before that it was RIR
allocation boundaries or classful addressing). Those that reluctantly
accept blocks smaller than /24 usually caveat that it won't actually work
on the global Internet. This seems to have held back routing of small
blocks despite there always been a subset of demand, typically from
corporates for routing small blocks.

And I'd say that I do know it - there are no /25-32 addresses routable
across a majority of the global internet.

Steve