[rpd] Re: Factors affecting in-region utilization - way forward?

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 20:39:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Kofi ansa akufo <kofi.ansa at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So are we saying the cause is Service Providers are not willing to issue
> enough IPs to such institutions that is why such campus networks exist?
>
> Or people handling such networks may not be aware of alternatives of
> getting their own PI space from AFRINIC?

BOTH actually. Some SP providing service to a client e.g. university they
KNOW will have more than 500 conccurent users and still giving them a /28
(or worse no) block of address space. But it's also the people handling
such networks don't know any better to a) challenge the ISP about the
amount of address space and/or b) start the process of getting their own
space.

When I was in this situation (having inherited the network and couldn't do
anything about the contract with the provider) - I didn't really know about
AFRINIC and even if I did, the management of the university would not
likely have thought seriously about 'buying' IP addresses.

My point here is that at least for a newish educational institution coming
up, there are two phases

a) phase 1: Try and get sufficient space from the provider - beyond the
default /28 or smaller. Some amount of internal NAT is usually inevitable

b) about  2 - 3 years later, as the value of the Internet sinks in, make
the case for getting your own space from the RIR.

> As to upstreams charging for announcement of prefixes I guess its their
> business policy?

Yep and about which an RIR has no business.

--

Mukom Akong T.

http://about.me/perfexcellence |  twitter: @perfexcellent
“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran