[rpd] Re: Factors affecting in-region utilization - way forward?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Jul 20 17:16:04 UTC 2014

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 07:00:13 PM Stephen Wilcox wrote:

> We are also scaling a system that was designed 30 years
> ago not to do what it does today. Breaking the
> stereotypes could prove to be problematic - core routers
> handling more than a few Mbps will switch in hardware
> and rapid growth in the number of routes in the global
> table could quickly overwhelm certain in service
> devices. Its okay to understand your 500k FIB limited
> box has a lifetime of 3yrs when you buy it but if you
> see irresponsible deaggregation or sudden announcement
> of small blocks you might cause people's equipment to
> become EOL faster than they can cope.

Which is true, but the problem is this issue is not equally
widespread.

So if a service provider takes action against de-aggregates
(either by blocking them off or charging for them), it puts
them at a disadvantage with their competitors.

> Is there data on this (I am not doubting you just that I
> haven't heard this being stated before)

As a function of implementation and hardware capability -
not so much the protocol itself.

Mark.