[rpd] Re: Factors affecting in-region utilization - way forward?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jul 19 14:36:59 UTC 2014

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 01:31:58 PM Seun Ojedeji wrote:

> Lots of LIR don't practice this, they kind-of encourage
> NATing by giving their users a few public IP and when
> the user ask for more, they attach a fee to it. A
> typical ISP gives max of a /28 for free and everything
> beyond attracts an extra fee. You can imagine a typical
> institution with over 40,000 users assigned a /28 for
> use.

I (and by extension, SEACOM, which both Noah and myself work
for) do not charge for IP space taken out of our own PA
blocks that is assigned to downstream customers, be it IPv4
or IPv6.

This is a position I've held with every ISP I've worked for
since getting into the business, because that places the
wrong energy into, perhaps, the right intention - the
intention being, save as much precious IPv4 space as you
can; but using $$ as a deterrent against customers asking
for IP space has the negative effect of costing you
business.

In addition to pushing IPv6 heavily, a service provider
should explore and evaluate internal policies that allow it
to support the business of its customers, while still
managing its own problems.

But I can't speak for any other service providers out there,
let alone Africa.

Mark.