[rpd] New proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jul 19 14:19:00 UTC 2014

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 08:02:49 AM Andrew Alston wrote:

> That’s about the most bizarre thing I’ve read in quite a
> while… as a provider I want my members to advertise
> every block of space they possibly have to me – the more
> they advertise to me, the more traffic flows via me to
> them, the more transit I sell them.  I really don’t
> understand the logic behind some providers.

Andrew, the idea is not that bizarre, really :-).

There have been quite a number of discussions in the
industry in past years about service providers charging
downstreams to accept routes (typically longer than a /24,
or even longer than a /20) as a way to mitigate the costs
the exploding IPv4 BGP table is placing on router FIB's.

If an American service provider were doing this, I wouldn't
be surprised. I'd be surprised if an African service
provider is doing this, however.

Mark.