[rpd] New proposal - "Out-Of-Region Use of AFRINIC Internet Number Resources" (AFPUB-2014-GEN-002-DRAFT-01)

Kris Seeburn seeburn.k at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 10:18:02 UTC 2014

Hi Douglas,

I think even i would not mind it being caped to 30% or 40 %. What is important is the due diligence in making sure it does not completely go out of the region without the proper controls in place.

That is why i suggested we go slow with the out of region allocation. We can start with 5-10 % initial and then move in the allocation space with caution and since review of before allocation will take some time so moving cautiously in gradients as i suggested would make it more cautious in our allocation and if in doubt and if the allocation is not done within set rules, we should be able to revoke the space if needs be.

So in continuity to this proposal which i support but allocation in gradients we should be able to ensure and perhaps that may well be another policy is how do we ensure or give the Afrinic staff the tools and support required to be able to check in some cases of doubt on how to audit or ensure the allocation is being done in the way we wanted it to be.

We may not be able to control all of it, as we know but we should be able to still be to some extent in control and when in doubt of an allocation being wrongful a supporting argument to revoke is also important. Within AFRINIC agreement there is a clause of "information should be correct at all times" we may perhaps need to revisit some of the clauses which is administrative but we should also ensure that we can tighten them as well with the new policy if accepted.

We should not also completely forget the aspect of "PROXY" ip addressing by PROXY which is a big running business today by all means. But food for further thought.