[rpd] A typical conversation with a service provider on v6

Lu Heng h.lu at anytimechinese.com
Mon Jun 16 19:42:00 UTC 2014

Hi

Welcome to be our customer.

We are v6 ready but almost nobody ask for it, you can have as many v6
as you want from us as long as you don't mis-config or  it or use it
for spam(spammer are one of the first v6 ready and use /32 to spam...)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Noah Maina <mainanoa at gmail.com> wrote:
> And to add... outdated ..non compliant aka end of life equipment also means
> ...you made your returns up until the equipment cant be supported no more...
> so how about get some of the profits and reinvest...this is technology.
>
> On 16 Jun 2014 18:35, mainanoa at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Cost again Mmmmmm ok let me look at it from my perspective.
>>
>> Pretty much most routing boxes today even simple inexpensive soho routers
>> like dlinks and linksys can support v6.
>>
>> For a matter of fact v6 is just a feature within the routing software
>> junos or ios or anyother... all one needs to do is enable or rather activite
>> it...
>>
>> So I really don't follow this cost argument.
>>
>> Noah
>>
>> On 16 Jun 2014 18:13, "Mwendwa Kivuva" <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the argument has been misunderstood or taken out of context.
>>>
>>> There is a cots of rolling over to a fully supported IPv6 network. Do the
>>> ISPs feel they will get Return on Investment in the near future from that
>>> effort? So for example, operator X might argue "My ISP is v6 ready, to enjoy
>>> the benefits, you will pay $+1 unlike operator Z who charges $ but does not
>>> support v6". Remember, outdated network equipment may not support IPv6 and
>>> Dual-stacking is not usually possible in such cases. (use tunneling?). Also,
>>> non-compliant equipment needs to be replaced because the manufacturer no
>>> longer exists or software updates are not possible. My point is, who will
>>> foot that cost? Are customers ready to pay more to have that edge?
>>>
>>> ______________________
>>> Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
>>> twitter.com/lordmwesh
>>>
>>> "There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
>>> higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson

Kind regards.
Lu

This transmission is intended solely for the addressee(s) shown above.
It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. Any review, dissemination or use
of this transmission or its contents by persons other than the
intended addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify this office immediately and
e-mail the original at the sender's address above by replying to this
message and including the text of the transmission received.