[rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 12 12:46:28 UTC 2014

Micr0$0ft is actually doing a lot with IPv6. It’s one of the few cases where I will give them some respect. (though limited, I still think they’re mostly evil.)

Amazon, well, I don’t think it’s so much an issue of refusal as an issue of fear and finance. Fear in that they seem very uncertain how to go about even starting the migration and seem to be in a perpetual state of analysis paralysis. Finance in that what they do know is that for them, the transition is going to be very expensive. Only recently do they seem to have begun to realize that it is getting more expensive with each passing day.

OTOH, consider Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and more have definitely taken a strong lead in IPv6.

5 years before they went out of business, nobody would have believed Montgomery Wards would be gone in 5 years. I believe that if Amazon does not solve their IPv6 problems soon, they may well face a similar fate.

Owen