[rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Jun 11 07:39:24 UTC 2014

The fact that a number of Board people have concerns and have voiced
them is good - it shows where their hearts are. I too (in my personal
capacity) have concerns on the slow adoption of IPv6 within the AFRINIC
service region.

I also don't like our IPv4 resources being used outside of our service
region by entities without African roots yet at the same time wish we
had a lot less left.

1 - What about "except for the very first allocation/assignment, No more
IPv4 until the member has their own IPv6 from AFRINIC, visible in the
routing table" ???
Would love to add that if the members upstream(s) do not support IPv6
connectivity to the member, no more IPv4 for them either.

2 - What about "for the second last /8, anyone acquiring addresses from
this pool has to prove (onus on the member) that more than half of their
existing addresses are used on equipment within the AFRINIC service
region" ???

3 - I also think a reservation policy might be useful for large
requests.
Client wants a /12, AFRINIC can reserve the whole /12 but only issues
a /16 of it - for use in "chicken and egg" cases... where funding might
not be (fully) approved until resources are secured. The rest of the /12
is issued later (on qualification) as part of the same job.
(I use /12 and /16 purely as examples)