[rpd] Academic IPv4 Policy

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Wed Jun 11 07:20:32 UTC 2014

Hi all,

On 6/11/2014 9:50 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> However, I want to take this moment to applaud the integrity shown in this
> message and agree and support your decision.
+1

> I sincerely hope that someone
> from the community will step up and do as you requested.

... not me ;-)

while I understand there were problems with some applications, I also hope
that the spirit of the policy can be some guidance to those implementing
policy. As said in the meeting at the microphone, there were apparently no
application within the last year from academic institutions.
Why? all are happily covered? by NRENs?

I have hope that academic institutions can assess their IP needs
realistically and make any necessary applications under existing policies.
I'd like to encourage them to do so sooner rather than later.
And if there are any challenges, I'd like to hear about them on this list.

In my opinion needs by academic institutions are genuine and in many many
cases higher than their current utilisation. I trust they will get new or
additional resources if and when applied for. And if not 5 * students then
at least they likely can get much more than what they have now.

If Higher Education Institutions (or their NRENs) don't manage to do the
right applications soon, I will have to count them as one of the many
organisations with their heads in the sand.

Regards,
Frank