[rpd] Unnecessary attachments

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Jun 11 06:56:07 UTC 2014

Ignoring the merits of Badru's message itself, I'd like to focus on the
structure:

  1 multipart/related [94K, 7bit]
  2 |->multipart/alternative [7.5K, 7bit]
  3 | |->text/plain [2.7K, quoted-printable, us-ascii]
  4 | `->text/html [4.5K, quoted-printable, us-ascii]
  5 `->image/png [86K, base64] A6B4555D-F867-4A2F-A9F9-BAF29039D12B[1].pn
  6 text/plain [0.1K, 7bit, us-ascii]

The useful part of the message (the text/plain part number 3)
is less than 3K.  The entire message is bloated to 94K by the
inclusion of an unnecessary HTML part, and an unnecessary image.
(The text/plain part number 6 is the footer automatically added by
the mailing list software.)

I'd like it if the mailing list software automatically blocked all
messages with attachments, pending approval by a moderator.  The
moderator could delete unnecessary attachments, or simply ask the
sender to try again without the attachment.  The moderator could
approve messages with useful attachments.

So many people send unnecessary HTML messages that it's pointless
to hold them for moderation.  I'd prefer to delete the HTML part
and keep the plain text, but I won't object if the community
prefers to keep both text and HTML.

--apb (Alan Barrett)