[rpd] LACNIC reaches final /10 of IPv4 space

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Jun 11 06:47:50 UTC 2014

Hi All,

As far as I can see it the following should be considered.

Firstly, our continent is far to NAT dependent, and this is in everyone's disadvantage.  From a network provider perspective, clients who run NAT are more likely to churn due to ease of renumbering.  From a client perspective, the limitations on end to end communications can introduce problems.  From a security perspective, the ability of individuals with nefarious purpose to hide behind NAT creates problems. As such, I'd argue that using our remaining space to remove the heavy NAT we see on this continent would be advantageous.

Further to this, the removal of NAT actually encourages the adoption of IPv6, it is far easier to dual-stack a network with IPv6 if you can run a single topology without worrying about the IPv4 translations.  The question is, how do we encourage people to move away from a legacy behavior that is in their disadvantage but for so long as been painted as a security mechanism (which it most certainly is not, and there are multiple papers to back this perspective available).

Secondly, we need to consider if we wish to encourage end user adoption of IPv4 space, or encourage further takeup of space by LIR's.  There is a key differentiator here, and it actually creates an interesting conflict.  From a provider perspective, having clients numbered on their space again, reduces churn and is in the advantage of the provider (LIR), from a client perspective, having provider independent space makes them more portable, grants the easy ability to multi-home and in many instances it may be easier for them to obtain end user space than to get it out of a provider.  That however comes with the disadvantage that the end user who chooses this route will probably need to think about running BGP (particularly if they are multi-homing), or alternatively having their sole provider announce on their behalf, this creates complexity that can lead to a rise in OPEX.

Either way though, I believe we need to encourage the adoption of our space by whatever reasonable means are possible.  Sitting on a large pool of IPv4 space that is being unallocated disadvantages the continent in a multitude of ways, including, but not limited to:

a.)    The amount of V4 space sitting unused discourages the adoption of IPv6, which in the long term holistic sense is bad for the continent in general

b.)    The large pool encourages dodgy vendors to come with an argument that we don't need V6 any time soon so we can be a legacy hardware dumping ground

c.)     A greater adoption of V4 by the general community will lead to a greater economy of scale in terms of allocation and management of space within the RIR.

Hence, I'd welcome any ideas as to how to drastically encourage the uptake of the V4 that is sitting unused in our pool.

Note: This thoughts represent my personal views and are in no way stated as board perspective or the perspective of any other entity to which I may be associated.

Thanks

Andrew