[rpd] NomCom according to the Bylaws

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 11:30:21 UTC 2014

As a former Chair of an AFRINIC NomCom, I can say with some degree of
expertise that the bylaws allow a nomcom to set residency requirements (see
text in BOLD below)   Apologies for HTML format:

https://afrinic.net/en/about-us/bylaws?start=8

9 THE NOMINATION COMMITTEE

There shall be a Nomination Committee (Nom Com), which shall consist of a
chairman and three other members as appointed by the Board and composed of
qualified and experienced persons. The Board shall make a public call for
voluntary nomination from the African Internet Community.

9.1 No person shall be qualified for appointment to the Nom Com if he/she
is a candidate for election to the Board or is domiciled in a region whose
seat is open for renewal during an election.

9.2 The Nom Com shall report to the Board and operate under such guidelines
as may be prescribed by the Board.

9.3 Functions of the Nomination Committee:

(i) The Nom Com shall:

a) use its best effort towards ensuring that a satisfactory number of
individuals from the African internet community stand as candidate for the
election of the directors of AFRINIC; and

b) have general responsibility for, and shall supervise the conduct of the
polls by the election Committee on election day.

(ii) In the discharge of its function under Article 9(i) above, the Nom Com:

a) shall call for candidates for elections held by AFRINIC;

*b) prescribe criteria and qualifications for eligibility to stand as
candidate for elections held by AFRINIC;*

c) may interview candidates prior to finalising the list of candidature;
and d) Shall finalise the list of candidates for any election held by
AFRINIC.

--
Cheers,

McTim