[rpd] AnyCast Address

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Jun 6 11:20:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> 1) When an LIR subnets an allocation, and sub-allocates
> those subnets to different countries, what’s the method
> for country-coding those sub-allocations?  SWIP?  RWHOIS?  I
> wasn’t clear on Ernest’s answer to that question.

As long as the information is there, why would I care whether it was
sent from the LIR to the RIR using SWIP, RWHIOS, or email?

> 2) When an allocation winds up being used anycast, where it’s
> being equally advertised in multiple countries within the
> region, what country-code should be put in the whois?  You’re
> saying, here, that it should be the country of incorporation
> of the LIR, but I’m not sure that makes sense… Wouldn’t
> it make more sense to use the country of incorporation of the
> customer?

I'd be inclined to use the location of the primary or master
anycast instance.  If they really are all equal, or the master
can't be identified, then just use the location of any instance,
or the location of the organisation that operates the anycast
service.

--apb (Alan Barrett)